Monday, January 4, 2016

December 28th, 2015

December 28th, 2015

This week has been crazy, but not as crazy as last week. (THANK GOODNESS)

I GOT MY FIRST BAPTISM DATE! Ahh, I was so excited! Her name is Mariko
Nagumo, and she is amazing. Her date that SHE picked is January 15th!
It is crazy soon, eh?! We first met her at our ward Christmas party
where she told us that she wanted to learn more about God and that she
felt like He had led her to us. How crazy is that? Crazy thing is, she
used to be Islamic! Or Islam. I don't really know which is which. The
religious one, not the race... Hahaha, whatever. But yeah, we were
stoked! On Tuesday, we had our first lesson with her and I got the
opportunity to invite her to be baptized. It was hecka scary. I had
been rehearsing my line for the entire lesson, and then I asked her
and she immediately said yes. I was shocked! I thought she would think
about it for a second or something, but she responded super quickly. I
was so happy! But, it is not over for her. We still have to teach her
all of the lessons, as well as prepare her enough to pass the
baptismal interview questions! Also, here in Japan, it is a rule that
the investigators have to go to three sacrament meetings in a row
before they can be baptized. It was sketchy because this Sunday,
Nagumo San walked in a couple of minutes late! We thought for sure she
wasn't going to make it, and we would have to push back her baptismal
date. But luckily enough, she slid in. I am so proud and excited for
her.

On Wednesday, we met with Okada (岡田) kyōdai again. I love him. He is a
recent convert, and an absolute stud. We are still reading the Book of
Mormon with him almost every single day. It has been the biggest
blessing for me because one of the hardest things for me has been
reading the Book of Mormon in Japanese. When we first met with 岡田, I
had just gotten to Japan, and had never previously read the Book of
Mormon in Japanese! It was SO hard! I hated every second of it. I
never wanted to be in that situation again. So, I have been reading
from the Book of Mormon every single day since then, and I am doing so
well now! It has become one of my favorite things to do! I am still
not the best, but I am light years ahead of where I was two weeks ago.
It has been a great witness to me that God will help us with whatever
is expedient unto Him. A scripture that I found this week has been my
motto for the past couple of days. It is Luke 1:37. It says,

For with God, nothing shall be impossible.

How cool is that? You can do anything with the help of God. After
that, we went to an eternal investigator's house for dinner. It was
way good and super fancy! Her name is Hanyuu, and she is so nice! She
loves the missionaries, but has been an investigator for over 15
years! We talked about religion after, and she had some unique views.
We shared our testimonies, and then left. It was about all we could
do.

Thursday was a very odd day! I GOT TO BE SANTA AGAIN! Apparently I am
pretty good at it! Hahaha, but we were volunteered by a lady in our
ward to go to a preschool and dress up as Santa and a reindeer. It was
hilarious. I was Santa, and they had a prime costume for me, but for
Baldwin, he got to wear a brown trash bag, a fake red nose, and some
antlers! I was dying. He is also 6'4 so all of the kids were freaking
out! We went and sat in front of all of them, and they asked us
questions. We had answers that we had to give, but it was still fun.
They told me to talk in English because I would seem more authentic...
So that was fun! Hahaha, oh and the funniest thing happened.
Apparently here in Japan there is a comedian that all of the kids
love. His catchphrase is, "WHY, JAPANESE PEOPLE?!" And he yells it out
at the top of his lungs. My trainer had told me this earlier in the
week, so I knew what it was. We were meeting with all the kids and
taking pictures and one of the 5 year olds yelled it out! I laughed
and yelled it back at the top of my lungs. All of the little kids
instantly stopped and were dead quiet as they're little minds were
processing whether or not Santa Claus had actually yelled it out.
Then, like a tidal wave, they all swarmed me yelling, "WHY, JAPANESE
PEOPLE?!" Hahahahahaha I died laughing! My trainer was just shaking
his head as I was getting mauled by a million Japanese children... It
was great. :) the rest of the day was kind of a bust as we didn't have
a lot of luck with OYM in Nagano city. We got a potential named
Kobayashi, and she might be coming to eikaiwa, and if she does, we
will take her on as an investigator.

Christmas in Japan is not Christmas. Hahaha, it is just another day
for us. But it is a lot harder. People do not want to talk to you at
all when you are out on the streets because everyone is hurrying. So,
we went and bought some things that we needed, and then headed back to
the apartment. I had been expecting a Christmas package from my family
for a while, and it hadn't come yet so I was super bummed. When we got
back, I checked our mail slot and saw that the mailman had my package
and had tried to deliver it to us, but no one was home! We had missed
him by like ten minutes! I was devastated. He never came back. Hahaha,
I had to go and pick it up the next day. The day AFTER Christmas. Am I
still bitter about it? No, why would you ask?! ;) haha after we met
with the Masuda (増田) family. Well, just the father and his 12 year old
son. It was a great lesson, and I basically just got to know them. I
feel like I really connected with them. Japanese people are flipping
hilarious. I love them so much. We all really connected, and then we
shared a simple Christmas message. I actually shared Luke 1:37 with
them, and they seemed to really enjoy that message of hope. When we
were leaving, I asked the son if he would say the prayer and in it he
thanked God that I was such a good person. How adorable is that?! My
heart melted, and I just wanted to take him with me wherever I went.
Hahaha but only through love can this gospel be taught. A commandment
that I never fully understood until I came on my mission was to Love
Thy Neighbor. We need to love everyone, even if it is hard. There are
people that get on my nerves sometimes here, and I have had to learn
that I need to love them like God loves them. Haha, I am pretty sure
that there is a quote that says,

The best way to defeat an enemy is to make him a friend.

If not, then I copyright that. ;) hahaha, but it is so true. Love
everyone. Especially at this time of the year. That is what God wants.

Saturday I got to Skype home and talk to my family! It was so great!
It was fun to see how everyone was doing. I wish I could Skype every
single one of you! The rest of the day we went out and OYM'd! We
didn't have a ton of luck, but we are working on our persistence. I
have realized that I have to talk to everyone! Everyone I possibly
can. And when I do that, I am doing my part in the finding process.
The finding process is like a triangle. There are three separate
parts. Mine, as a missionary, God's, and then the person. I am denying
someone the opportunity to complete the triangle when I don't speak
out and just pass them on the street. It is a weird way to look at it,
yeah. But for me, it is what drives me every day.

Sunday was crazy fun! I got to say the prayer in sacrament meeting,
and that was fun. Haha, I sit behind this one family during sacrament
meeting, and I have made friends with one of the daughters. Her name
is Kaori! I was sitting behind her and she was turned around looking
at me (this was my first Sunday) and I gave her a weird face and she
laughed. Then, I ripped out a little piece of paper and wrote
konnichiwa (こんいちわ) on it and gave it to her. She giggled, and wrote
the same thing back. I laughed so hard. It was adorable. So this week
I wrote her another note and we passed notes back and forth for a
little while. Hahaha, she is 6 and her hobby is singing and/or
songs... I don't know if I translated that correctly... We also got to
go sit in on primary on Sunday! It was insane! Japanese kids have so
much energy! I was sitting in a big pile of kids, and the little girl
sitting next to me started poking my hand and saying how big it was.
She was probably 2 or 3. We compared had sizes, and then she latched
onto my hand. It was pretty adorable. We had a very fun time! After
church, we decided to go out on an adventure and find a less active
man named Ida (井田) who lived crazy far away! So we set off. We rode
way far away, then got really confused because the map told us that we
had to climb up a mountain on our bikes. I did t enjoy it, but we did
it. We climbed all the way to the top, and then went down the other
side! We eventually found his house, and boldly marched up to the
door. We rang the doorbell, and waited. A few seconds later a woman
looked through the door, saw us, opened the door then yelled at us to
go away because they were eating dinner. She then proceeded to slam
the door in our faces. I was heartbroken. We thought that 井田 was going
to be a prime person ready to come back to church but we got rejected.
It was rough. So we decided that we would ride around and then try
again later. As we were riding, we met a woman named Rina! She is 27
and from Tokyo! I saw her while we were riding and she had a snowboard
so I stopped and started talking to her. She was way cool and way nice
to us! She actually told us that her and her boyfriend had gotten into
a fight earlier that day and the sky cried for her (rained) and it was
super beautiful! We became friends, and then I shared who we were and
why we were there. I bore my testimony of Jesus Christ and how our
lives can become easier and more simple through the gospel. She didn't
seem super interested, but I tried anyway. Hopefully it helped her in
some way. After we said goodbye to Rina, we headed back to 井田's house
only to find that they had shut and locked their gate. So, we rode
home. And we had to ride up the same huge mountain! Ugh. I REALLY
hated it. Hahaha I am very out of shape I realized.

So yeah, that was my week! Sorry this is so long, but I had a lot to
say! I love it here, and I love all of you guys! Stay amazing!

I'll attach pictures in a second...

Love,
Luke/パシー長老







No comments:

Post a Comment