Monday, March 28, 2016

March 14th, 2016: Ogaki (大垣)!!!

Well, it is my first week in Ogaki, and I already love it here! So
many miracles have happened this week. It has definitely been one that
I will never forget.

Hahaha, my first day here was definitely very interesting. I'm gonna
be straight up honest and say I spent most of the day cleaning.
Sometimes it amazes me how disgusting men can live... Hahaha, so yeah,
8 or 9 trash bags later, I finally was able to set up camp! Ogaki is a
really pretty area and I am so stoked! That night I had the
opportunity to do some good old fashioned areabook finding. The area
boom is basically the records of all the past investigators in the
area. Now, since we all have iPads, the records have all been
uploaded. But, I hadn't been able to sync up with my new area, so I
pulled out the monster file and started flipping through it and
calling almost every single person. It was awesome! After two hours I
had found two new investigators! The new investigators are the Ohashi
family. It was actually way funny. I called the father, Masayoshi, and
he answered in English. There was a ton of noise in the background,
and he was talking super strange. He later told me that he would like
to meet tomorrow, but he was drunk... We set up an appointment, and
then he said something along the lines of, "If I don't come tomorrow,
call me again. I might forget because I'm drinking..." I started dying
and told him it was a deal. Man, sometimes it is the little things
that make life funny.

That next day we met Masayoshi at the church, and then followed him
back to his home where we met his wife, Ryouko, and their 1 year old
daughter Kaede. We got to know them and they have a way rad story!
They met in Canada (they both speak English) and fell in love. Masa
went to Canada to ski for a year, where when he wasn't skiing, he
washed dishes in a restaurant for money. They moved back to Japan, got
married, and eventually had their daughter. They are a beautiful
family, and are extremely interested in the idea of eternal families.
Ryouko especially. So we taught a little bit about the plan of
salvation, and then left them with the pamphlet and an invitation to
read it. We were planning to meet them on Saturday but Kaede caught a
cold so they cancelled. We will set up another appointment this week!

The next day on Thursday we had the opportunity to go and sit in on a
traditional Japanese tea ceremony! It was way cool! There are also so
many rules it's insane! One of our English class students took us and
showed us step by step how it's done. Then, I got to try! The hardest
part was sitting on the ground for so long in the traditional Japanese
manner. You have to just sit on your legs for ages! I couldn't walk
after I finished. Seriously. I tried to get up but I couldn't. I had
to sit there till the blood came back into my legs enough to where I
could actually stand up! All in all it was a rare glimpse into the
depth of Japanese culture. I have a lot more respect for their
culture.

On Friday we went and signed up for a Japanese class! We tried to set
ourselves up a gig as volunteers at a local cultural center, but the
workers there weren't super into the idea, so we compromised on coming
to their Japanese classes and helping there. I am excited to see if we
can swing some investigators from it! Later that night we had
outreach! Outreach is where you are supposed to get people to come to
a church friendly environment to have a fun time. But, what it usually
turns into is a mad ping pong tournament. Turns out I have some mad
skills. But, there is this one lady here who is a straight up animal!
She is probably in her 60s but she is more agile than any old lady I
have ever seen. At one point we were rallying so fast it felt like
those professional players in China! It was dope! HAHAHAHA, I'm gonna
beat her next week.

We went and found a nearby college in hopes of meeting some younger
kids that would be interested, but we ended up not having a ton of
luck. We watched some soccer, talked to a few soccer moms, and then
headed out. We tried to visit some less actives but in the meanwhile
got completely lost. It sucked. Also, here in Ogaki the wind is
INSANE! Like, it is crazy hard to ride a bike here, it's so windy.
I've been almost pushed off the road, into cars, or completely stopped
by a headwind. Ugh. Hahaha

Sunday was a good day! We had a regular Sunday where I met all of the
members (all 15 of them), bore my testimony about the importance of
the sacrament, and had meetings. After that, we went finding again! We
stopped by Ogaki park, seeing as it was good weather. And we found a
ton of people there! We played soccer with a ton of 11 year olds which
schooled us all over the field. Then played some badminton with a
group of girls! We ended up teaching an entire lesson, and hopefully
we will get to meet with some of them again! We also took some great
selfies.... Yes, I'll add them. ;)

That was our week! It was great and I am so excited for next week! The
work is moving along in Ogaki! I love it here, and I am grateful for
all of you! Thanks so much! :)

Love,


Luke/パシー長老




No comments:

Post a Comment