Monday, February 1, 2016

February 1st, 2016: He is Always There

This week has been crazy! We have been super busy, and I have learned
so much this week. This email is probably going to be small... I don't
have a ton of time today. Sorry!

The first thing I learned was that I know absolutely no Portuguese.
Haha, why is that relevant? Good question! This week we received a new
member family (they got baptized about two weeks ago) who moved to
Nagano! They live about an hour away, which makes it a little
difficult. They're name is the Dias family, and I already love them.
We went with some members yesterday and visited them! It is a mom,
dad, and a daughter. The mom speaks pretty good Japanese, which was a
life saver. She sort of translated for her husband and daughter. But,
it is our task to teach them the after baptism lessons... And we can't
do it in English or Japanese... So we're learning Portuguese! Hahaha,
I am so excited to try and help teach this family in another language!
If anyone knows Portuguese and has some study material/advice, we
would greatly appreciate it! We don't have a lot of study material, so
it is difficult. We are going into it with faith that if we try our
hardest, God will fill in the rest. It was cool to see just how much
Japanese I already know. I have such a strong testimony now that we as
missionaries are called to speak in a specific language, and God helps
us learn and speak it. I'm just hoping he will make an exception for
us! HAHAHAHA 😂

Yesterday, my trainer and I had a very... Existential... Experience.
One of our recent converts, Okada kyōdai, has gotten sick. Really
sick. But he isn't able to go and see a doctor. He lives with his
mother usually, but she has been gone for a little bit, so he has been
completely alone. We gave him a priesthood blessing earlier yesterday,
but Baldwin decided that we should bake him something. We made him a
chocolate black thunder cake! I was actually really impressed with how
well it turned out! Men can cook! Haha, and we decided that we would
bring him the cake and a loaf of bread that some members had given us,
and go and doorbell ditch him. We prepared it all, wrote him a note,
and then went over to his house. We set all of the stuff on his porch,
rang the doorbell, and then ran off and hid. He opened the door and
saw the cake. He looked very weak and sick. He read the note, and then
looked up and out into the dark where we were hiding. In-between
gasps, he yelled out, "Thank you! Pashy and Baldwin! Thank you very
much!" Baldwin looked to me and I told him to be quiet. We didn't
write our names on the note, but Okada knew who it was from. If we
would have answered, it would have ruined the purpose of what we were
doing. While we were sitting there, I had a thought. That is like our
relationship with God. God blesses us all the time with cakes and
bread and other things that we need, metaphorically speaking. They
randomly show up on the porch steps of our lives. We know who it's
from, and in our prayers we desperately yell out our thanks into the
darkness. And He always hears us. But if He were to answer, it would
ruin the whole purpose of us being here. It was a unique feeling. We
rode home in silence, and all the while I was yelling out my thanks
into the darkness. I PROMISE you that He is there, and He is earnestly
listening. Just like we did, He delights in blessing you. Open your
door, and see the blessings on your porch.

That experience hit me really deeply. I hope that you all can find
chances to serve others. There is no greater feeling than helping
those in need. It is our job and duty to help others at every
opportunity.

I love you guys so much! Thank you for everything!

Love,


Luke/パシー長老

No comments:

Post a Comment