Monday, February 1, 2016

January 25th, 2016: This week has been a roller coaster!

I don't know why, but apparently I have a habit of getting myself into
some unique situations. Hahaha, and I love it. This week was no
exception! We went on a housing tour, were taught how to pretty much
kill people with a bamboo sword by some Japanese children, found an 89
year old investigator, met a ninja, saw all of the missionaries that
came in with me, got transfer calls, got called fat by my branch
president, had my first bike accident, and a bunch of other crazy
stuff! Life is hilarious. 

This week was transfer calls, and with it came some bad news.
Currently in Nagano there are 4 elders, and it is split up obviously
into two sections. It's the same geographically, but there are four of
us. On Saturday they told us that for an hour we would have to wait by
our phones to see if we would get transferred. Holy cow it was
stressful. I haven't felt that anxious in a long time! But after an
hour, none of us had gotten a call! We were super stoked because that
meant that we would all be staying in Nagano! But, after that our
district leader called the other elders and asked how they were
feeling. None of us knew what was going on, and so they said they were
stoked to be staying. But, apparently the AP's forgot to call them.
So, they got called and they're actually closing the Nagano 2 area! So
as of tomorrow, it will just be me and my trainer over all of Nagano!
How crazy is that!? We also get a whole apartment to ourselves! It is
going to be a lot more quiet from here on out. It has been super sad
because we all became really good friends and it is hard to see them
leave. But we are excited for them!

This Sunday we conferred the gift of the Holy Ghost to Nagumo! It was
cool to be able to stand in on an ordinance like that, and to hear it
all in Japanese! Also, we have seen the biggest change in Nagumo. She
has never looked happier. Especially her eyes. On Sunday, they were so
bright! Like, my trainer and I just talked about it and we both
thought she was wearing contacts or something because she was
absolutely radiating. It was amazing to see the light of Christ shine
so brightly from someone that we taught. If that isn't the best form
of motivation, I don't know what is. We will soon begin to teach her
the after baptism lessons, and I will be taking the lead role in
teaching them. It will be a cool experience, and I am excited to
practice my Japanese!

So, some fun stuff that happened. Last week we met an 89 year old man
named Fukazawa San while OYM'ing, and he invited us into his house. It
was weird because most people do not let you into their house. But he
sat us down and started to feed us candy. I wasn't complaining! Haha,
he then kept asking us if we drink ocha, which is green tea, and we
kept turning him down. Anyways, we thought he had dementia so we gave
him a Book of Mormon, invited him to read it, and then left. This
week, we decided we would drop by and see how he was doing and whether
or not he would remember us. When he opened the door, he looked at me
and said, "Pashii (my name in Japanese) San!" My trainer and I were
caught off guard, but apparently because I had left my business card,
he remembered who I was. Haha, but he forgot about my trainer. 
Anyways, he let us in again and we went and sat down. He loaded us up
with more candy, and then walked in with the Book of Mormon that we
had given him and a notebook. He told us that he had been reading from
the book and taking notes! We were astounded! We then taught about the
restoration, and he seemed really interested. He was Buddhist his
entire life, but decided that he doesn't believe in it anymore, so he
wants to learn about Christianity. The hardest part for him will be
gaining the faith to believe. We taught him how to pray, but he had a
hard time with that as well. I really like him. He is an artist! He
has paintings hung up all over his house, and he keeps telling us that
he wants to give us some. He also is a pro at those way cool wall
scrolls with kanji on it, and next time we come he is going to teach
us how to do it! I am stoked. Him and I talk about art all the time. I
am grateful for a mother who is an art history major, and that I read
art history textbooks growing up! I am praying that he will find the
faith to accept baptism.

On Saturday we were out try to visit some members, and while we were
biking we heard this really loud yelling coming from a gymnasium. Me,
being me, told my trainer that I wanted to check it out. Haha, so I
went and walked up to the door and found a man standing there. I asked
him if it was alright if we watched what was going on, and he let us
in. We walked into a war zone. What we walked into was a kendo
practice. Kendo is a Japanese form of fencing using two handed bamboo
swords. I was elated! It was so cool! After the kids did this warm up
stuff, they picked up their swords. Also, in kendo, you have to yell
whenever you hit someone. Apparently it is for the intimidation
factor. That is what we heard when we were biking past. The kids then
suited up in their miniature samurai suits and started hitting each
other on the head! I kid you not! I have videos! It was undoubtedly
one of the funniest things I have ever seen! It was just a bunch of
kids yelling at each other then smacking themselves on the head. I was
dying. I'll attach some videos. Then, they started sparring! It was
way cool! Oh, and this is where we met the ninja! He was an
instructor, and the man looked so scary. He showed no emotion, and
didn't even flinch when sparring. He scared me. But he was a cool guy
when we went and talked to him! He let me play sigh his sword, but
sadly I don't have any pictures. He taught me how to use it, and how
to scream like a samurai. Let's just say that I wasn't impressed with
myself... Haha. The videos are gold! 

Overall, this week has been a roller coaster. It's been up, down,
left, and right. It's been funny, sad, spiritual, difficult, easy, and
everything in between. My trainer and I are becoming really close, and
I am so grateful for that. He is a good missionary. We struggled this
week when it came to finding. We have been trying to house more
lately, and with that comes a lot of difficulties. We knock on so many
houses! One night this week we were feeling a little down, and while
we were at the top of a huge housing complex, we looked out over the
city. It was beautiful. I told my companion that out ere, somewhere,
was someone that needed to hear what we have to say, and it is our job
to find them. No matter how many people turn us down, we have to have
the faith to find the one person that has been prepared. I have
learned a lot also about prayer. I invite you all to study out prayer.
When I did, I realized that I had been praying wrong. Study it out,
and personal revelation will come flooding into your lives!

I love it here, and I love the gospel. Live life, because every second
counts. Serve others. If you are trying to find yourself, first lose
yourself in the service of others, and there will you find who you
really are. I love all of you! Don't ever give up!

Love,


Luke/パシー長老


Random selfies at eikaiwa...







No comments:

Post a Comment