Sunday, February 14, 2016

February 8th, 2016: Yes, I do know that my hands are warm

Haha, so some backstory. Here in Japan, EVERYONE has cold hands. I kid
you not. So, every single time I shake someone's hand, they always
comment and say that my hands are warm. It's pretty hilarious because
then they shake my trainers hand and flip out (the kid's hands are ice
blocks) because they're so cold. Then, most people come back to me and
shake my hand again just because it's warm... So yeah. I guess that's
a win? Hahahahaha

This week we met with our 89 year old investigator. It was a very
bittersweet visit for us, because at the end, he basically told us
that he couldn't learn any more about religion because he has too much
stuff in his head already, but we aren't giving up on him yet! I still
have faith! That was the bitter part. Now onto the sweet part.
Fukazawa Sama has been an artist his whole entire life, and when we
first went to his house I saw and commented on all of his paintings
that he had hanging up. We always love talking about different forms
of art. This time, when we showed up, he told us that he had gifts for
us. He pulled me aside, and gave me an amazing gift! He gave me some
of his watercolor paints and brushes, along with some sketch books to
practice on. Inside one of the sketch books, he had written out a
bunch of different forms and styles of painting, and his advice and
techniques on them. I was astonished! He had taken so much time to
teach me all of the things that he had learned over his life! The only
problem is that it is all in Japanese. And it isn't easy Japanese.
It's in kanji. So I will have to translate it all, but I am so
excited! He also sketched out Fuji San for me on one of the pages of
the sketchbook. It was a magical experience to see this 89 year old
man use a gift that was undoubtedly given to him by God, and with
shaky hands sketch out a major symbol of his culture and heritage. I
don't think I will ever forget that experience. I had him sign it, and
treasure his gifts more than gold. After this life, I want to meet him
again and see the masterpieces that he has created in heaven! My
trainer and I talked about how this life is just too short to find all
of your talents and gifts from God. I hope you all will go out of your
way to try something new. That's the only way we can find our gifts.

This week my trainer and I are going on another double date! Hahaha we
are going out with Naoki and Natsuko again, and this time we are going
to Nagano's annual Tomyo festival! They have done it ever since the
Olympics in 1998, and it is a light show at the Buddhist temple
Zenkoji. They have all the colors of the olympics showing to symbolize
peace. I love that. Peace is something that is lacking so much these
days. It should be a ton of fun, and we are hoping to make Natsuko one
of our investigators. She is amazing! She understands a lot, and
seemed to have a lot of interest the first time that we met her! She
also speaks English, which is pretty nice! Expect some good pictures
next week!

This week I went on my first companionship exchange, and it was way
fun! We went and played soccer with a bunch of college students!
Japanese college students are freaking hilarious. They were also way
good at soccer! They play twice a week every week, therefore they are
way bomb! I suck at soccer, so it pretty much turned into me trying to
mess with them enough so I could steal the ball. Turns out Japanese
people are super ticklish, so I definitely used that to my advantage.
HAHAHAHA, life is hilarious. I've got a funny picture from that that I
will attach later.

A couple of days ago, Baldwin and I visited the border of our mission!
In Nagano, we border the Tokyo mission, and while we were visiting
some families, a member drove us to see it. It was on the very top of
a mountain near a ski resort! We were up in the clouds, and there was
a crap ton of snow! It was so pretty! We had a lot of fun.

On the way to the border of the mission, we stopped by our new recent
convert family the Dias Family! They just moved in and speak
Portuguese... We don't speak Portuguese. Yet! Haha, so we are still
learning Portuguese, and as a missionary if I could sponsor an app, I
would pick Duolingo. It has helped us so much already! Hahaha, so we
are using that, and the scriptures, PMG, and anything lose we can find
in Portuguese to learn! It is fun, but hard!

Overall, this week was a lot of fun! I have definitely learned a lot!
Thank you all for everything!

愛しているよ!


パシー長老より



No comments:

Post a Comment